Tuesday 12 October 2010

Concerning copyright...

The discussion of my research plan went well with my supervisor for my project.

But it's been hi-lighted that I need to move along with this research rather swiftly. Particularly with regards to which narrative I'm going to recreate because I was worried about copyright clearance.... However, after doing some research today I found out that work is copyright free from...

70 years from the end of the calendar year in which the last remaining author of the work dies.
If the author is unknown, copyright will last for 70 years from end of the calendar year in which the work was created, although if it is made available to the public during that time, (by publication, authorised performance, broadcast, exhibition, etc.), then the duration will be 70 years from the end of the year that the work was first made available.


http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p01_uk_copyright_law

And it's 50 years for music. I'm massively relieved as most of the classics I'm thinking of reviving as it were are over 70 years old.


The list of works I have to whittle down are here:

Faustus
The Strange Case of Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde
Sherlock Holmes (not sure which story yet)
A Portrait of Dorian Gray
Phantom of the Opera
Dracula
Frankenstein
An Inspector Calls
Journey to the Centre of the Earth
The War of the Worlds

The ones that I think would be best suited are the ones written in purple.

Current objectives:
To find out what is currently on the market
To learn more about what users like about narratives
Computer as theatre
Make a decision on which narratives to test with audience

No comments:

Post a Comment